How to overcome chronic back pain
If you are suffering from chronic back pain (one that has lingered for more than six months) don’t be distressed with it anymore! the only thing you need is an extensive approach towards diminishing it and not to get psychologically miserable by it, at all!
As an initial step, get appropriate medical help;
Let a Doctor evaluate the exact location (which could be anywhere from the neck to the lower spine) and cause of your chronic back pain (whether it is originating from bones, muscles, nerves, any organ) and address it accordingly.
In addition to the thorough physical examination, he might ask you to get radiographs of the spine, bone scans, CAT scan (computerized axial tomography), MRI (Magnetic resonance imaging) to pick out the source of pain
He or she might prescribe some simple pain-killers like acetaminophen, aspirin, muscle-relaxants and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs for short-term use only. In cases of persistent excruciating chronic back pain, the Doctor might hesitantly prescribe opioids such as morphine, codeine, papaverine etc, but he will do so only, under the sponsorship of a pain clinic. These medications not only relieve pain but also produce sleep; but there drawback is that they are habit-forming! Sometimes antidepressants might have to be prescribed for some period, to those suffering from heart-breaking depression, but on account of their side-effects, the Doctors consider it better to avoid them.
* Patients are advised to refrain from indulging in any movement, comings and goings that intensify the pain.
* A mechanical back support may be advised
* Local injections of anesthetics and steroids may be instituted
* Understand and learn to relax through deep breathing and other stress management techniques
* Participate in affirmative and assured proclamations that feed positive signals and messages into the brain
* Leave out liquor consumption because it interferes with sleep, which is quite essential to give adequate rest to your back.
* Leave off smoking, even if it is one of your deep-rooted habits, because it is hazardous for the spine and might participate in the development of degenerative disease of the intervertebral disc.
* Massage or rub down,acupressure,acupuncture,reiki,reflexology,aroma therapy,shaitsu are some treatment options for chronic back pain
* Physiotherapy in the form of intensifying exercises
* Consideration regarding a change of occupation. Jobs that entail lifting heavy loads, shaking and vibrations from heavy machinery, driving a transport for an extended time , as well as certain sports can be a cause of chronic back pain.
* Local injections into the fragile and delicate attachment sites for ligaments, with normal saline or other agents may work wonders.